First General provides both Residential and Commercial Sewage Damage Services
If a sewage backup occurs at your home or business, professional help is required immediately. The certified team at First General Services is equipped to efficiently and effectively provide sewage damage services which include containing and eliminating the waste associated with a sewage loss.
What is a Sewer Backup?
While floods are probably best known for causing extensive water damage to homes and businesses, they can also cause sewage from sanitary sewer lines to back up into houses through drain pipes. These backups not only cause damage that is difficult and expensive to repair, but also create health hazards.
What Causes A Sewer Backup:
- Blockages due to Tree Roots: Shrubs and trees seeking moisture can make their way into sewer line cracks causing extensive damage. They may start out small, getting into a small crack in the pipe; but as the tree or shrub continues to grow, so does the root. Tree roots can enter the service pipe at joints and cause blockages
- Sanitary Main: A blockage can occur in a city sanitary main. If the blockage is not detected in time, sewage from the main can back up into homes and businesses through floor drains
- Water in Basement: Most basement flooding is not related to the sanitary sewer system. In many cases, soil settles adjacent to the building and, if not corrected, leads to rainwater flowing towards the building and down the outside of the foundation wall
For information on taking measures to help prevent a sewer backup, please visit the Insurance Institute Information page at: https://www.iii.org/article/protect-your-house-from-sewer-backups
First General Sewage Damage Services Include:
- Assess the situation upon arrival
- Remove the sewage and associated water
- Remove all contaminated furnishings, carpet, padding, and flooring, drywall, or other surfaces that have been affected or contaminated
- Professionally dry and ventilate the affected area
- Clean and sanitize the affected area to eliminate parasites, bacteria, and viruses
It is important to have a trained professional provide sewage damage cleanup. Sewage contains contaminants that can spread throughout the property and cause serious disease if not handled appropriately. Moreover, if the backup has occurred more than 24 hours ago, bacteria and viruses will have already spread and severe threats to your health exist.
Some of the most common negative effects of encountering raw sewage include:
Viruses-gastroenteritis, poliomyelitis, and hepatitis A
Bacteria-campylobacter, e. coli, leptospria, salmonella, and shigella
Parasites-cryptosporidisis and giardiasis
Check out our Blog post Sewer Backup Prevention
If you are in need of sewer damage services, call the team at First General Services at 570-824-0680. We are available 24/7.