According to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day are the leading dates for home structure fires. It is important to keep holiday fire safety in mind while entertaining during family get-togethers.
Holiday decorations, cooking, candles, and heating equipment are among the main causes of fires during the holidays. We recommend these holiday fire safety tips:
Carefully decorate your home to make your holidays safer-Chances are you’ll be using extension cords when decking the halls. While they provide a convenient power source, extension cords can also create fire hazards if not used properly.
- Make sure your extension cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor and outdoor, and meet the power needs of the device being used
- Never use a cord that feels hot or it damaged in any way. It’s far more cost effective to dispose and replace than deal with the aftermath of a home fire
- Never use nails or staples to secure extension cords. Instead, use plastic cord clips
Stay in the kitchen while cooking on the stove top-This might sound like a silly reminder, but while holiday meals are being prepared, normally there are a lot of distractions to compete with-extra helping hands in the kitchen, new guests arriving, door bells ringing just to name a few! A stove top fire can ignite quickly if a pot boils over or a hand towel accidentally gets too close to the burner.
Keep children and pets away from from lit candles-nothing says the holiday like the ambiance created by a glistening candle. However, be cautious when small children or pets are nearby. It takes literally seconds for a candle to tip over and catch curtains, carpets, or furniture on fire. Opt for battery operated flameless candles.
Heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths-with a few simple precautions, you can prevent most heating fires from happening
- Keep anything that can burn, such as blankets and curtains, at least 3 feet away from heating equipment
- Be sure to have furnaces and chimneys professionally cleaned and inspected every year
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
For more information on holiday fire safety, visit https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Seasonal-fire-causes/Winter-holidays
If you do experience a fire and need restoration, visit our page for additional information Fire Damage Restoration