What Exactly Is a Home Inventory Checklist?
A home inventory checklist is a detailed record, organized by category, of all the possessions you own, along with each item’s worth. Although creating this list might sound daunting, it is much more manageable to construct prior to a major home disaster. Can you imagine trying to recall from memory all of the possessions in your home that you have accumulated over years?!
The list of items in the checklist will be extensive and includes clothing, electronics, furniture, china, appliances, jewelry, and artwork among others. We will further discuss everything, by category, later in this post along with a sample checklist.
Why Do I Need A Home Inventory Checklist?
When an unforeseen disaster strikes, a home inventory check list will not only help get your insurance claim processed faster, it will ensure all of your possessions are accounted for in the claim. We recommend you make your inventory checklist as complete as possible. Your insurance company will require a detailed list of your personal property before paying out your claim.
Tips When Creating Your Personalized Inventory Checklist
- As to not get overwhelmed when developing your checklist, we recommend creating a simple Excel spreadsheet. You can enter a heading for each room in your house and then add in each physical item by room underneath
- You can also enter additional general headings such as “Artwork”, “Jewelry”, “Electronics”, “Sports Equipment”, and “Other”. The great part about creating this inventory checklist is that you can customize it to fit your individual type of possessions
- Be sure to include purchase dates, item values, serial numbers, and brand names for all items. This ensures accuracy and that you are receiving
- Take pictures and video of each room in your house. Don’t forget closets, drawers, the attic, basement, and garage. Save the pictures and video to a cloud based storage source for easy access
- Review your homeowners policy yearly to ensure you have enough coverage for your belongings. There is a big difference between the items you furnish your first apartment with vs. the items throughout your forever home.
For additional information on creating a home inventory checklist, visit the Insurance Information Institute’s website :
For information on the personal property restoration services First General provides, visit our page: https://firstgeneralservice.com/personal-property-restoration